Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is very adaptable. You can make these muffins with what you have on hand and to fit any occasion. Great for using little bits of this and that.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar, less,to taste
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried fruit or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried papayas or 1 cup dried mango or 1 cup dried pineapple or 1 cup currants
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts, your choice or 3⁄4 cup macadamia nuts (good with tropical fruits)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together flour, sugars, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Stir in fruit and nuts.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in liquid mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon into 12 large muffin cups and bake in preheated 400F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they test done.
Very nice and adaptable. I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup all purpose flour. I cut down the granulated sugar to 1/2 cup but still added a little brown sugar... the result was plenty sweet. I added dried papaya, macadamias and also added a chopped banana (almost added coconut too). I also had to add a few TBSPs of milk to get the right consistency. 20 minutes was too much baking time... 17 - 18 minutes is plenty... or maybe baking at 350 would suffice. Overall, we enjoyed the result and I will make these again.
Very easy to make. I used dried papaya and walnuts. These were done and browned by 20 minutes. I think they might do okay with less time so I would check them around 15-16 minutes and add on time as needed. DH loved the taste but I thought it could use a bit more flavor. I suggest lightly greasing the pan since I had to gently pry them out.