This is a variation of the widely known "wacky cake", "crazy cake", "oil & vinegar cake", "war cake", etc., which was developed during the Great Depression when milk, butter, sugar and eggs were scarce or expensive. I like to use the base for this recipe when baking for those with egg or milk allergies. This cake is very moist and packed with lemon, lime and orange flavor. Because it's so moist, it could simply be served with a light glaze or without icing altogether. I like to frost it with my favorite vanilla buttercream topped with a generous sprinkling of flaked coconut for a tropically delicious dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 8 x 8" baking pan and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Make three depressions in dry ingredients (2 small and one large). Pour vinegar in one small depression, vanilla & lemon extracts in another small depression and the vegetable oil in the larger depression. Pour water over all. Add lemon, lime & orange zests and stir until smooth.
- 3Pour batter into baking pan and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 4Cool for up to one hour atop a wire rack before spreading with your favorite frosting.
- 5If you wish to bake a larger cake, just double the recipe and use a 9x13" baking pan.
- 6If you wish to bake cupcakes, the standard recipe yields 12 cupcakes. Just bake at 350 F for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Triple Citrus Cake (Egg-Free and Dairy-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.3
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 270.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: