Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian.
Top Review by i and s
This was really great! We were worried that it wouldn't have a strong flavor but we were wrong... we savored every bite. This went great with jerk chicken, which we shredded and added to the leftover soup for an extra kick. We also used dried black-eyed peas instead of canned; boil on high for 4 minutes, drain and rinse, and then add to the soup as directed. No pre-soaking necessary.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen black-eyed peas
- 6 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 6 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder (mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water)
- 1⁄4 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- limes or lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in the bell pepper, onion, and carrots.
- Stir/saute for 3 minutes or until the onion turns translucent and slightly browned at the edges.
- Add in the cilantro; stir once.
- Add in the peas, stock, rice, ginger, allspice, thyme, mustard, and chile pepper.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover; lower heat to LOW and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours--stir occasionally.
- Add salt and more pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve garnished with chives and with a lemon or lime wedge on the side.