Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A sweet and tangy chicken with sauce left over to use as a gravy. Love to serve this with rice and peas and cover the chicken and rice with the sauce before serving. Got this recipe from Mom.
- 3 lbs chicken breasts, and legs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- Remove skin from chicken breasts and legs. Place chicken in baking dish bone side up. Amount of chicken you can cook depends on the size of your baking dish. 2 QT dish can make just over 3 lbs, which should be enough to serve 6.
- Bake chicken at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- After chicken has cooked for about 20 minutes, melt butter in saucepan. Once melted, stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat and stir sauce until thickened.
- Remove chicken from oven and dish. Drain fat and wipe down dish. Place chicken back in dish bone side down. Cover with sauce and bake at 350 degrees for another 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and dish. Drain sauce from dish into gravy boat. As stated, love to serve with rice and peas, but that all open to interpretation. Cover chicken and rice with sauce at will before serving. Then get down to enjoying the tasty goodness.
5 stars all the way! Very tender chicken, positively yummy orange sauce, and very easy to prepare. I followed the recipe exactly as written and did not make any changes. And my whole family enjoyed this fantastic dish. I will definitely make this often. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Bow. It's a keeper, for sure. Made for Spring 2009 Pick-A-Chef.
Now that is a great chicken dish! I loved the way it was tangy and the fabulous flavor from the spices. I didn't measure the spices when I put them in, just did it to our family's taste. Served with rice and peas as suggested. Thanks, we will make this again!
The chicken was very tender & moist, I used boneless chicken breasts. However, I was not overly fond of the sauce. I think I am maybe just not a fan of the ginger. Sorry, I won't try this one again.