1/1 Photo of Traditional Caesar Salad
Terri F.'s Note:
Nothing beats the original, and this is it. It takes a while to prepare, but it's sooooo worth it! Add cooked chicken breast, shrimp, or beef to make a full meal. Don't forget to pass extra anchovies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 3 cups 1/2 inch cubes French bread or 3 cups Italian bread
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, boiled gently for 2 minutes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1In small sauce pan, heat butter, olive oil, and garlic from top of recipe.
- 2When butter is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 3Remove garlic, toss bread cubes with butter mixture.
- 4Spread on baking sheet and bake at 350 F shaking pan once or twice, until croutons are golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- 5Set aside.
- 6In large wooden salad bowl, run garlic clove around the inside of the bowl.
- 7Mash together the 4 cloves of garlic and the 1/2 tsp salt until they form a paste.
- 8Whisk in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Mash anchovy fillets in small bowl until they form a paste.
- 10Add anchovy paste to garlic mixture and whisk well.
- 11Add 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly.
- 12Add coddled eggs and whisk until blended.
- 13Add romaine pieces and croutons, and toss until coated with dressing.
- 14Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and toss lightly.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Caesar Salad
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.1
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 1061.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 22.0 g