Recipe by Terri F.
Nothing beats the original, and this is it. It takes a while to prepare, but it's sooooo worth it! Add cooked chicken breast, shrimp, or beef to make a full meal. Don't forget to pass extra anchovies!
Top Review by Terry Carter
My wife (and I) LOVES this recipe. She tells me this is the BEST ceasar salad she's ever had, and makes sure I make it every few weeks. It is a bit garlicky, however, but it suits us just fine. I added a little more fresh lemon juice. If you're an anchovie lover, make sure you save a few filets to garnish the salad. Much tahnks to Terri F. for posting this one!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 3 cups 1/2 inch cubes French bread or 3 cups Italian bread
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, boiled gently for 2 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In small sauce pan, heat butter, olive oil, and garlic from top of recipe.
- When butter is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove garlic, toss bread cubes with butter mixture.
- Spread on baking sheet and bake at 350 F shaking pan once or twice, until croutons are golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Set aside.
- In large wooden salad bowl, run garlic clove around the inside of the bowl.
- Mash together the 4 cloves of garlic and the 1/2 tsp salt until they form a paste.
- Whisk in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash anchovy fillets in small bowl until they form a paste.
- Add anchovy paste to garlic mixture and whisk well.
- Add 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Add coddled eggs and whisk until blended.
- Add romaine pieces and croutons, and toss until coated with dressing.
- Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and toss lightly.
- Serve immediately.