This can also be made used using cubed chicken breast or lobster. Serve this creamy sauce over cooked pasta, this complete recipe may be doubled.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or to taste, rubbed between fingers to release flavors)
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb uncooked fresh medium shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- hot sauce (optional, or use cayenne pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan; add in onions, garlic and dried thyme and saute for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and cook until until they release their moisture.
- Add in shrimp and cook until the shrimp is no longer pink; remove only the shrimp to a bowl (leave the onion/mushroom mixture in the saucepan).
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in flour; whisk for 1 minute (you might need to add in a couple tablespoons more butter).
- Slowly add in broth, wine (if using) and whipping cream; cook over medium-low heat stirring or whisking constantly until bubbly and thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Season with seasoned salt or white salt, black pepper and hot sauce or cayenne (if using) to taste.
- Add the shrimp back into the sauce and then mix in the Parmesan cheese; simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this for myself tonight, cutting the recipe in half. It was totally deliciious, and I still have enough for lunch tomorrow. I made it with the wine which added a delicate flavor and served it on whole wheat linguine. I substituted non-fat half and half for the whipping cream which cut down on fat and calories. Still delicious. Hats off to the chef!