Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
this makes 12 huge cookies..with an abundance of chocolate chips...some chips are melted and mixed in the dough and some are chips...the result is a dark chocolate cookie with a heap of chocolate chips..from Elinor Klivans...
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven --
- Preheat the oven to 325*.Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips in a heatproof container or the top of a double boiler and place it over, but not touching, a saucepan of barely simmering water (or the bottom of the double boiler).
- Stir the chocolate chips until melted and smooth --
- Remove from the water and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar,and the granulated sugar until smoothly blended, about 1 minute.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of teh bowl as needed during mixing.
- On low speed, mix in the melted chocolate chips until blended.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until blended, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated.
- Mix in the remaining 2 cups chocolate chips.
- Using an ice scoop or measuring cup with 1/4 cup capacity, scoop mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 3" apart.
- Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, until they crack slightly on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cookies comes out with moist crumbs, not wet batter, about 18 minutes.
- If the toothpick penetrates a chocolate chips, test another spot --
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The outside of the cookies will become crisp as the cookies cool.
- The cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days.(they won't last that long).
Made these as a thank you gift for someone who requested chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
These are amazing. The batter is so good we almost didn't cook it, but they are so so good cooked, too! We used Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet. We also only got 9 cookies. We ate at least one cookie of batter, so I think it's probably just a cookie sized difference. Thank you! Will make again and again! And make cookie sandwiches with fresh made ice cream! Yes!
Outstanding chocoholic cookies!!! VERY rich, chocolately and completely yummy. Definitely a keeper. Thanks! 4-24-07 UPDATED REVIEW - 1/31/2010 Made these again today and added 1/2 cup dried cherries soaked in cherry kirsch and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts. Also used microwave to melt chocolate. Made smaller cookies and baked at 325F for 13 or 14 minutes. These are AMAZING with coffee.