Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This soup has a hidden agenda...it's mission is to get your picky family to eat more veggies and LOVE IT! This soup can be made vegetarian or with chicken/turkey. Either way, it will be a hit. I have never met a guest who didn't like this soup. PLUS...it's healthy! Don't let the long ingredient list fool you. Pick and choose what you like or use what you have on hand. You can't mess it up. This recipe makes a large pot of stew, but it freezes very well.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick (can substitute yellow squash)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (for milder spiciness, substitute one 4-oz can of fire-roasted green chilies or Rotel)
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen corn (can use regular frozen corn or Southwest blend)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or 1 can tomato paste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred. (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve, topped with desired toppings.
I'm happy to be the first to review this wonderful soup recipe. It is delicious and so easy to prepare. I wasn't sure if I'd like the addition of zucchini but I loved it. The flavor combinations are great. I enjoyed it with crumbled tortilla chips on top. Yummo! Thank you for sharing. This recipe is going into my 'best of the best file'. Made for the Bargain Basement tag game in the Cooking Games with Friends forum.
We loved this tasty and very healthy soup! I used 2 cups of diced rotisserie chicken since I had it on hand. Otherwise made as directed using the wine and fresh jalapeno options. It made a whopping 18 cups of soup. Thanks for sharing! Made for Spring PAC 2014.