1/1 Photo of Tortilla Soup With Undercover Veggies!
1 hr 20 mins
Faux Chef Lael's Note:
This soup has a hidden agenda...it's mission is to get your picky family to eat more veggies and LOVE IT! This soup can be made vegetarian or with chicken/turkey. Either way, it will be a hit. I have never met a guest who didn't like this soup. PLUS...it's healthy! Don't let the long ingredient list fool you. Pick and choose what you like or use what you have on hand. You can't mess it up. This recipe makes a large pot of stew, but it freezes very well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick (can substitute yellow squash)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (for milder spiciness, substitute one 4-oz can of fire-roasted green chilies or Rotel)
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen corn (can use regular frozen corn or Southwest blend)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or 1 can tomato paste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- 2Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- 3After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred. (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
- 4Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- 5Serve, topped with desired toppings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla Soup With Undercover Veggies!
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.3
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 843.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 19.1 g