Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
light chicken free version using dried chiles and epizote from cooking light-
Make and share this Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 3⁄4 cups vertically sliced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 stemmed dried seeded pasilla chiles (or 1 dried ancho)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried crumbled epazote leaves
- 3⁄4 cup queso fresco
- 1⁄3 cup cubed peeled avocado
- 1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until golden. Set strips aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Place onion mixture and tomato in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add chiles, and sauté 60 seconds or until fragrant. Remove chiles; cool completely. Remove and discard stems; chop chiles.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture, and cook 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick (consistency will resemble tomato paste), stirring frequently. Add broth and epazote; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Discard solids.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Divide the cheese, tortilla strips, and avocado evenly among bowls. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled toasted chile. Serve with lime wedges.
I enjoyed this spicy soup. I didn`t have any epazote to use. Didn`t miss it. The chilies I processed with the rest of the ingredients.I didn`t need to strain it. I did cut the recipe down to serve just the 2 of us. Bad mistake because I wanted more!:( Thanks for a tasty soup!
A little bit of effort reaps great rewards. Velvetly smooth (after straining) and the heat of the soup beautifuly counterbalanced by the avocado and queso blanco. I did add the chiles to the soup, rather than crumble them over the top--as a result the soup had some real heat--but I loved the creaminess of the soup balanced by the crisp tortilas and the chunks of avocado and the curds of cheese. Excellent, Chia!