Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This really warms me up and is a refreshing change from the normal everyday soups. Not sure where it came from, my mom made it for us and she does not remember where she got it. But it is very versatile.. you can add more or less depending on your tastes.
- 1 lb mild breakfast sausage
- 1 lb hot breakfast sausage
- 1 cup zucchini, chunked
- 1 cup summer squash, chunked
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 -3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) canitalian roma tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Pour broth in to large pot and bring to a simmer (I like the organic box type if I do not make my own broth from scratch). Meanwhile cook the sausage, (I like to mix the spicy and regular the tube kind, like Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean or even Italian sausage works well). Drain fat off and add to the simmering broth.
- To the broth add the onions, garlic, oregano, and parsley. Turn it up to a boil.
- Then add the zucchini, squash, tortellini, (watch out that the pot is big enough since the tortellinis will float, cook them as directed in package) Bring back to a boil.
- Once the tortellinis are done add the beans and tomatoes. To heat them up and serve.
- ** Green peppers are good to add too.