Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Joesph Hallbeck, Sibley Station, Pequot Lakes, MN.
- 2 cups white beans, soaked overnight
- 2 quarts water, boiling
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers, roasted
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Place soaked beans in 2 quarts boiling water.
- Add chicken base, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, balsamic vinegar, onion, and garlic.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place bell peppers on a baking sheet and roast in a 450 degree Fahrenheit oven,turning occasionally, until outer skin is charred, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven and cover with moist towel.
- When peppers have cooled, peel off charred skin and remove seeds and stems.
- Chop peppers.
- When beans are tender, add peppers and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes and serve.
Man, this makes a lot of soup! But what intensely flavorful soup it is! I made this exactly as posted, having intrigued by the unique ingredients (I've never had artichoke in soup before). This packs a lot of flavor and is sure to be a big hit on your table. Thanks for sharing this winner, Dienia! Made for Newest Zaar Tag Game.