Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe is simple to prepare, and it will permanently replace canned tomato soup in your heart! It also freezes well. I always have individual-sized servings in my freezer. The flavor intensifies the longer you cook it, so I suggest you experiment on the time to suit your own taste. I found this originally at recipegoldmine.com.
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 whole cloves
- Stir all ingredients together in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low Heat setting for 5 to 10 hours.
- Strain before serving.
My kids tasted and threw it away. I'm so disappointed, too because I can't get canned tomato soup where I live. My usual soup, made with tomato paste, onion, red pepper and sugar in 2 hours on the stove top is far far better.
This was wonderful--very rich tomato flavor that I haven't found in canned soup. I had forgotten that this was a crockpot recipe, so everything was placed in a large stockpot an hour before lunch and cooked on the stove. Awesome:)