This delicious sandwich is a re-creation of one I ate in a lovely lunch cafe in Natchitoches, Louisiana. This was served with slices of fresh melon,kiwi,strawberries,and orange on the side drizzled with some honey mustard dressing.
- 2 slices rye bread (or a round sandwich roll)
- 2 -4 slices cucumbers
- 2 -4 slices beefsteak tomatoes (or other large ripe tomato)
- 2 slices red onions
- 1⁄2 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- lemon juice
- alfalfa sprout (optional)
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard, to taste,or honey mustard salad dressing
- 1 -2 leaf green leaf lettuce
- Lightly toast bread or roll.
- Toss avocado slices with a tiny bit of lemon juice to keep from getting brown.
- Spread some of the honey mustard on the bread.
- Place lettuce on bread, followed by tomato slices, cucumbers, red onion, and avocado slices.
- Drizzle remaining honey mustard over the vegetables.
- Top with sprouts and close up sandwich, securing with a toothpick.
- Note: To make honey mustard, combine honey and prepared yellow mustard together to taste.
- To make honey mustard salad dressing, simply add a little mayonnaise to the same mixture and thin with a tiny bit of milk if needed, to suit your taste.
- Of course, both honey mustard and honey mustard salad dressings are now sold in stores if you prefer to use ready made.