Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Make your next sandwich memorable with this hearty, herbed loaf!
Make and share this Tomato Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Lightly grease large bowl and two loaf pans with olive oil.
- In small saucepan, heat juice, sauce and 2 tbs olive oil to 120 F degrees.
- Combine 3 cups flour with yeast and remaining ingredients.
- Pour in tomato mix and beat 3 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining flour until it holds together enough to turn out on floured surface.
- If the dough is too sticky, and you may need to add a little more flour, but not too much or you will have a dry bread.
- Knead about 5 minutes, until dough smooths out, place in lightly oiled bowl (olive is best here!), turning to coat dough with oil once, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, let rest 15 minutes, then shape into 2 loaves, and place in pans.
- Cover pans and let rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Bake loaves 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F and bake 30-40 minutes more.
- Bread is done when loaf sounds hollow when thumped with knuckle.
- Tip loaves out immediately onto wire rack to cool.
- *Note-Insteadof individual spices, you can also use 1 3/4 tsp of Italian Seasoning.
very good bread. the herbs were just right. this was really my first attempt at bread making and i think i added too much flour and dried it out a bit, so i'll go easy on the flour next time. i also substituted a cup of wheat flour for the white and halved the recipe, which worked out fine. eaten with a pat of butter or dipped in olive oil.
A great alternative to boring, white bread. Excellent blend of flavors and spices. Great for turkey sandwiches, and also just plain with butter for a great snack. Thanks:)
A delicious bread recipe! I had half a chopped onion and 1/3 c spinach which I added because I needed to use it up. Thanks for posting!