Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A taste sensation from the pages of Fine Cooking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, hearty
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- In a medium pot, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until tender and lightly browned on the edges, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until reduced by a quarter and thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Using a standard or immersion blender, puree about half the soup; it will still be chunky and thick.
- Return it to the pot and stir in the cream.
- Heat gently and adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with the parsley if using, and serve immediately.
Excellent! Used diced toatoes rather than crushed and added freshed diced at the end. Will make again with milk rather than cream to cut the calories....I actually tried it before I added the cream and it was delicicious just lake that. Also may try with basil rather than thyme. Everyone loved it.....so long Cambells!
Very easy preparation and the house smells wonderful. I made this for lunch today and my DD and I loved it. I did reduce the honey by about half as I don't like things too sweet. For me, that was perfect. We decided to add a bit more cream after tasting it too. Very yummy and I will make this often. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Wonderful Tomato soup! Generally the only commercial tomato soup I like is Amy's Organic Tomato Bisque but at $3.49 per can (single serving) it can get costly. I like this one every bit as much for less than half the price! Total winner in this house.