Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Some people find yellow tomatoes milder and easier to digest than red tomatoes. Yellow is used in this recipe, but ripe red tomatoes will do just as well. This recipe is from the Hay Day Country Market Cookbook.
- 4 large firm yellow tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices bread
- freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Wash the tomatoes. Slice off stem end and scoop out insides. Sprinkle shells with salt and pepper and turn upside down to drain for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- When drained, dry shells inside and out. Sprinkle a little chopped garlic in each shell. Break one egg into each tomato. Beat together tomato puree, cream, and thyme. Spoon evenly over the eggs. Sprinkle with cheese and arrange the tomatoes in a buttered ovenproof dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or longer until eggs are set.
- While eggs are cooking, cut bread into rounds. Toast and lightly butter each round. Once the eggs are set, arrange one tomato on each toast round. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve at once.