Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was originally printed in the Louisville Courier-Journal in 1989. I was introduced to it by a college roommate, and through a lot of internet searching, finally found the recipe. This recipe works very nicely in a crockpot.
- 1 lb large white beans (sorted, rinsed)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mild green chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- Combine beans, broth, garlic, and half the onions in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until beans are soft (2 hours or more), adding more broth if necessary.
- In a skillet, saute remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chiles and seasonings; mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve topped with grated Monterey Jack cheese, salsa, and sour cream. I also like to serve tortilla chips on the side.