Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serving suggestion: Vegetarian sausages put onto a bed of Mashed potatoes and pour on the Gravy. Chase with Beer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushroom
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetarian port wine or 1⁄2 cup other vegetarian wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- Heat oil in saucepan and add onion. Saute until golden.
- Add herbs and mushrooms and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Stir in port, vegetable stock, Braggs and simmer, stirring until the gravy has thickened slightly about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove bay. Pour into Gravy boat and serve.
- Note Crusted Port is Vegetarian.
I made this gravy for Thanksgiving dinner because I'm a vegetarian and I wanted to smother my mashed potatoes with something this year. This was very very good! I used Portabello mushrooms, and since I don't like port wine I just used some red and it was fine. I went with the dark soy sauce and I must say that I think that was the secret to the gravy, it was just wonderful. My mother-in-law, who is not a vegetarian, but is adventurous when it comes to food, tried some of this and she even liked it. Just one note to those who may try this in the future, the directions don't say when to add the flour, but I added it in after adding the mushrooms and cooking them until they were soft. I just added the flour right to the mushrooms, herbs, and onions and stirred until it was absorbed, and then slowly stirred in the wine and vegetable stock. Thanks very very much for sharing this it made my Thanksgiving a little saucier.