Recipe by mickie49
This is an extremely thick hardy soup, a whole meal in a bowl. We usually have some raw vegetables with dip and some good crusty bread with it. It freezes very well. I've had this recipe for sometime now. I believe it came from the first year of the Taste of Home magazine, but I'm not positive.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, with basil,do not drain,roughly break-up tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup raw spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup sliced ripe olives
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute meats with onions and garlic in large soup kettle.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add next 10 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 60 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add peas and olives,cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.