I found this recipe in the Houston Chronicle, and I think it really is the best sugar cookie recipe! It's the best one I've tried!!!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat oil and butter until blended.
- Add powdered sugar and 1 cup sugar; beat well.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt together.
- Stir into sugar mixture.
- Mix well.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Roll into 1-inch balls; roll balls in sugar.
- Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
- The cookies should be flattened to 2-inch rounds; don't flatten too thin.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until brown around the edges.