Prep 2 hrs
Cook 14 mins
I found this recipe in the Houston Chronicle, and I think it really is the best sugar cookie recipe! It's the best one I've tried!!!
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- sugar, for coating cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat oil and butter until blended.
- Add powdered sugar and 1 cup sugar; beat well.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt together.
- Stir into sugar mixture.
- Mix well.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Roll into 1-inch balls; roll balls in sugar.
- Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
- The cookies should be flattened to 2-inch rounds; don't flatten too thin.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until brown around the edges.
This recipe is terrific! We loved the taste and texture and it's a great recipe to let kids help out. I rolled some of the cookies in sugar with cinnamon and they were even better, but we really like cinnamon. Thanks for a great recipe!
I so wanted these to be as wonderful as others thought. I followed the recipe exactly and still they had a strange (to me) texture, too crumbly I guess. I thought I might have cooked them too long so next tray I cooked just 10 minutes, still too crumbly for me. sorry I wish I could like them .
I was sorta dissapointed in the recipe. The oil and butter didn't blend. I ended up with a VERY soft, sticky, and dull colored dough. And I froze it for 30 minutes and chilled it 30 minutes the end product was extremely delicate and hard to decorate but the taste was not how a REAL sugar cookie is supposed to be.