Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My very own creation! My husband had an Enchilada soup in restaurant and based off his description I came up with this rich soup. The fun part is the toppings. I place them in small bowls on the table and everyone adds their favorite things to the soup base. The soup alone is great, but my family likes to customize!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (divided)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) canof mild red enchilada sauce
- 1⁄3 cup masa harina (Corn Flour)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes (drained) or 10 ounces tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel)
- 5 corn tortillas (optional)
- 1 -2 avocado (diced)
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 cup cheese, blend such as monterray jack/colby or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- tortillas, strips or broken up tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (I use Fat free)
- In a medium sauce pan heat 1 tsp of cooking oil, sautee garlic and onion until tender and translucent.
- Turn heat to low and shred chicken meat into vegetable mixture, stir until combined and heated.
- Set aside.
- Pour enchilada sauce into a small mixing bowl and add Masa Harina, stir with a whisk until there are no lumps and mixture is smooth.
- Heat chicken broth in a large pot and add 1 1/2 cups of Masa Harina/Enchilada mixture to broth.
- Stir with a whisk.
- Continue to heat and add cumin, chili powder and tomato or tomato and green chili combo.
- Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat, add chicken/onion/garlic mixture.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with toppings, may add a dollop of sour cream and then sprinkle on toppings of your choice.
- Tortilla Strip option: While soup is simmering cut corn tortillas into small strips.
- Brush with remaining cooking oil and cook at 350°F for 5-8 minutes until very lightly brown and crisp.
I made this soup last night and my husband and I absolutely loved it! It is just spicy enough and the toppings really make the dish. Thanks Dawn! We will be making this again very soon.