Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A yummy, healthier version of my Perfect Burger recipe, which is made with beef. In an attempt to eliminate trans fats from our diet, my fiancee and I have discovered that almost ALL ground beef, extra lean or not, has trans fats! We went without burgers for months until we found trans-fat-free ground pork at our grocery. I've also recently discovered the wonders of paprika in just about everything, and came up with this slight variation for a healthier burger! My fiancee LOVES them, I make them at least once a week.
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups oats
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs (or bread crumbs, but the cornflake crumbs hold it together better)
- 4 tablespoons mild paprika
- 1 -2 tablespoon garlic powder
- ground pepper (to taste)
- 4 -6 whole grain buns
- Chop your onions while you preheat a non-stick frypan or barbeque at medium heat.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly. I use my hands, but you can use a fork or spoon. Wear gloves for safety against bacteria and food-borne illnesses!
- If you have to let the mixture sit, DO NOT mix in the oats and cornflake crumbs until just before you will cook them. Otherwise, the grains absorb too mcuh liquid and get mushy, making the mixture fall apart.
- The mixture should hold together quite well and not crumble. If it does, you probably need a little more of the oats and cornflake crumbs.
- Form the mixture into 4-6 patties (depending on the size of your buns). Keep in mind these do not shrink at much as beef burgers normally do - they hardly shrink at all actually.
- Fry or barbeque on medium heat for a few minutes per side.
- Garnish with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
This was good, but the texture was very soft. I think you could double the meat (at least) and leave everything else the same. I pan fried and served as I would a beef burger, with pickles, ketchup and mustard. Served on whole wheat toast as I didn't have any buns. Thanks for sharing!