Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is the actual Olive Garden bolognese (spaghetti sauce) recipe that I got from the Olive Garden website. Please don't leave a feedback saying how this recipe, "Is soooo much better than Olive Garden's", or how it is, "Close to Olive Garden's, but no cigar". It IS Olive Garden's recipe. Now we just have to figure out how they make their breadsticks! I like to throw the cooked veggies in the blender so my son doesn't realize that they're in there! ;)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 6 ounces Italian sausage, skinned
- 1 cup red wine
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/4 tsp dry)
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped (or 1/4 tsp dry)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add meat and cook 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze pan with wine, let it reduce.
- Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir, simmer for about 1 hour.
- Serve over fresh, hot pasta.
I can't say that I have ever had the Bolognese Sauce at Olive Garden, but I have had many different other ones. This is really good; my eldest daughter told me it is her favorite sauce I make....sadly, even better than my 4th generation Italian Spaghetti Sauce (Sunday Gravy) passed down from my Great-Great Grandmother Maria Concetta Scalzo who came to the US from Calabria. I think she is wrong by the way :) But all the same, this is a good sauce. I used 1 pound of Italian sausage instead of mixing the two different meats and it turned out good. I kept everything else the same.
Easy and delish recipe%u2026 even with my low fat modifications! I'm on Weight Watchers, so I had to skip the sausage and go with 1 lb of 93% lean ground beef. Didn't have fresh herbs so went with the dry, and I only had a can of heavy pureed tomatoes on hand, which worked out fine. I added some crushed red pepper, since I like a little kick. Tasty, over whole wheat pasta! :) Thanks for the recipe!
Have made this several times now, and the family loved it each time! Will continue to make, thanks!