1/5 Photos of Thai Spicy Basil Fried Rice
This is a great use of leftover rice. It's important to use Thai sweet basil to get the authentic Thai restaurant taste. And don't skip the fish sauce, it smells strong in the bottle, but it blends in nicely with the other ingredients when it's all put together. Also, make sure you use chilled rice, or you'll end up with mush.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, chilled
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, chopped (can use serranos)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (like egg beaters, or can use 2 eggs)
- 8 ounces shrimp (or other protein, can use virtually any meat, fish, tofu, etc.)
- 2 cups Thai basil, leaves left whole
- 1/2 cup cilantro (optional)
- 1Whisk together oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
- 2Spray a wok or large frying pan with olive oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the garlic and chili (or serrano) peppers and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- 4Add the red pepper and onion and stir fry until the onion is translucent. If using chicken or beef, add it with the the onion and red pepper. Cook until chicken is done, or beef is about medium.
- 5Push ingredients in the wok/pan aside and quickly scramble the egg.
- 6Add the oyster sauce mixture and stir everything together.
- 7Raise the heat to high and add the chilled rice. Stir until blended with the sauce and other ingredients, breaking up clumps of rice with the back of a spoon.
- 8Add more soy, oyster, or fish sauce, if necessary (or to taste).
- 9When everything is blended together and rice is hot, remove from heat and stir in the basil.
- 10Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Spicy Basil Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.2
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 1148.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g