Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great use of leftover rice. It's important to use Thai sweet basil to get the authentic Thai restaurant taste. And don't skip the fish sauce, it smells strong in the bottle, but it blends in nicely with the other ingredients when it's all put together. Also, make sure you use chilled rice, or you'll end up with mush.
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, chilled
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, chopped (can use serranos)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (like egg beaters, or can use 2 eggs)
- 8 ounces shrimp (or other protein, can use virtually any meat, fish, tofu, etc.)
- 2 cups Thai basil, leaves left whole
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (optional)
- Whisk together oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
- Spray a wok or large frying pan with olive oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and chili (or serrano) peppers and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and onion and stir fry until the onion is translucent. If using chicken or beef, add it with the the onion and red pepper. Cook until chicken is done, or beef is about medium.
- Push ingredients in the wok/pan aside and quickly scramble the egg.
- Add the oyster sauce mixture and stir everything together.
- Raise the heat to high and add the chilled rice. Stir until blended with the sauce and other ingredients, breaking up clumps of rice with the back of a spoon.
- Add more soy, oyster, or fish sauce, if necessary (or to taste).
- When everything is blended together and rice is hot, remove from heat and stir in the basil.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Good god this was salty. Soy, oyster And fish sauce is like a sodium bomb. Use at least half of them and get the same result.
this recipe tastes just like my local Thai restaurant's! I have never used fish sauce before and I was super nervous but it all came together nicely!!
Tried to cook this and it was perfect! :)