This spicy hearty soup is delicious! Quick enough to whip up for lunch. Good starter too.
Make and share this Thai Peanut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup chopped carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (white portion only)
- 1 teaspoon chopped red chile (to taste)
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cook onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon grass, red chili, stir and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, and let cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk and soy sauce, and stir to combine well. Add the peanut butter. Keep stirring until well combined (the peanut butter will go kind of stringy, but it will melt in after a bit). Heat until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with chopped fresh roasted peanuts and green onions as a garnish.
I have been making this soup for about five years now. Everyone I have introduced it to love it. I have made slight changes to it over the years to accommodate meat eaters..
0. Omit carrots. You don't really need them in this.
1. Lemon zest can substitute the lemongrass.
2. I use red curry paste instead of chopped chilies, amazing I must say.
3. Puree with a stick blender.
4. Diced cooked chicken provides a more substantial meal, for a meat eater.
5. Cilantro garnish. Need I say more?
I was making Pad Thai for friends & decided on a soup as well. Found this soup and am extremely happy that I did. This was an awesome blend of flavours & turned out to be a hit! I made just a few changes; doubled the recipe, skipped the red peppers, did not have lemongrass so substituted the zest & the juice of a lime, added a clove of garlic and a healthy chunk of ginger. Also took the advice of the review and pureed the soup in the end. It turned out beautifully & I will be making it again for sure. Thx for a great recipe :-)
Fabulous flavor combination. I added vegetables I needed to use up in the refrigerator-green beans and cauliflower as well as the carrots and onions. I also added chicken (which is how I got the broth). I substituted lemon zest as suggested by another reviewer as I didn't have lemon grass. This will be a keeper for sure as I love soups and they are easy to make ahead for several meals. Thank you for a great and easy recipe!