Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From "150 Best Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and More Slow Cooker Recipes" by Sunil Vijayakar. I actually had ground turkey and that worked beautifully in this recipe. I also modified the recipe to eliminate the frying, which also worked out really well, and am posting both versions. This is rather spicy, so if you are uncertain reduce the number of chile peppers or amount of curry paste.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground chicken or 1 3⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb (I actually used panko)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped lemongrass (I used lemongrass paste)
- 3 long red chili peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt, to taste (I used none)
- ground black pepper, to taste (I used none)
- Mix chicken or turkey, breadcrumbs, half of the cilantro, lemongrass and chile peppers in a large bowl, combining thoroughly.
- If not frying, drop walnut-sized meatballs into a 4 qt slow cooker (I coat with a little oil to make cleanup easier). Cover and cook on High for about 1 hour to set the meatballs. (For all I know you don't need to do this - it might work just as well with the sauce added immediately - but this is how I did it).
- Combine the remaining ingredients except the cilantro in a small bowl; pour over the meatballs, reduce to Low and cook for 4 hours, or cook on High for 2 hours.
- If frying, form the meat into walnut-sized meatballs. Heat oil in a large skillet and quickly fry the meatballs until browned. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Make the sauce as in Step 3 and pour into the frying pan, stirring to scrape up the fond; pour over the meatballs and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice, garnished with the remaining cilantro.
These were some tasty meatballs. To brown them , I baked them in the oven at 450F for 15 minutes. You have to wash an extra dish, but this is quicker than waiting for them to set up in the slow cooker. Some other changes: I used lean ground beef, and added two kaffir lime leaves and some palm sugar to the sauce. I know I will be making this again, for sure.
These are good! Changes I made was skipping the lemongrass and the chili peppers. I used green curry sauce instead of the one mentioned (half a jar or so in the fridge, so didn't measure) and used the crockpot option for the entire recipe. Instead of rice we served with mixed vegetables. An easy dinner that was very good! Thanks for sharing!
This was a very simple recipe. I followed the browning the meatballs method and cooked on HIGH for 3 hours. My kids really liked these meatballs. My husband was not a fan, but he doesn't like curry much. We all thought it was fairly reminiscent of a stuffed mushroom. Thank you for the recipe duonyte! Made for 2013 Zaar Cookbook Tag.