Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted (liberally) from Simply THAI Cooking, this is a favorite in our house, as testified by the badly stained page in my cookbook. Can also sub pork for the chicken. Change vege to suit your taste - green beans are nice instead of bok choy. Prep all ingredients, including the sauces, before starting to cook.
- 1 medium bok choy, sliced 1-inch wide, whites and greens separated
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup shredded basil
- peanut oil, for stir-fying
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oil in wok. Stir-fry onions, peppers, and white part of bok-choy until crisp tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Add oil to wok if needed and stir-fry chicken, garlic, and pepper flakes until chicken is done. Add sauces in order, stirring between each addition to coat. Add cooked vegetables back and stir to coat.
- Add green part of bok choy and basil, stirring just unti hot-crisp, and beginning to wilt. Serve immediately.
First off I want to say that I normally don't write review, even though I should, since I am always using them to help me out. Anywhooo, this meal was FANTASTIC!!!!!! B/c I read a lot of the reviews I made some changes. First off, b/c i read a complaint of saltiness, I decided to go with Braggs ( natural soy sauce) and I did not use fish sauce ( did not have it) I just simply used 3tbls of braggs and 1 tbls of lime juice (read this is a great substitute for fish sauce). I also used the red curry paste and red pepper flakes ( read from one of the earlier reviews). I added a lot of vegs, ( broccoli, green & red pepper, onions, zucchini & mushrooms). My fam LUVD it. We will def be having this again and again. I cant say enough about how good it was.
This was fantastic, the flavor was amazing! I used broccoli, onion, red pepper, and mushrooms. I substituted hoisin sauce for oyster sauce because I couldn't find oyster sauce without HFCS, it was super tasty! I also used half teaspoon of chili paste and it was very mild, I'll probably use more next time, but I was a little worried about the spice. I wanted something like the traditional dish at a local thai place and this far exceeded my expectations of anything I could make! Thank you for this recipe, my hubb and I LOVED it!!!
This was surprisingly good. Found the recipe when searching for something to use up some fresh basil (although after reading some reviews now I want to try to find some thai basil!) It was my first time eating bok choy, not bad! The only subs we made were using 1 tsp green curry paste instead of chili paste, and we added peanuts because my husband loves to put them in any asian dish that he can. For me it was on the verge of being too salty but the flavor won out. Maybe the low sodium soy sauce saved it from going over the salty edge? Will definitely be making this again!