Thai Spicy Basil Fried Rice
photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, chilled
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, chopped (can use serranos)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (like egg beaters, or can use 2 eggs)
- 8 ounces shrimp (or other protein, can use virtually any meat, fish, tofu, etc.)
- 2 cups Thai basil, leaves left whole
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (optional)
- Whisk together oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
- Spray a wok or large frying pan with olive oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and chili (or serrano) peppers and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and onion and stir fry until the onion is translucent. If using chicken or beef, add it with the the onion and red pepper. Cook until chicken is done, or beef is about medium.
- Push ingredients in the wok/pan aside and quickly scramble the egg.
- Add the oyster sauce mixture and stir everything together.
- Raise the heat to high and add the chilled rice. Stir until blended with the sauce and other ingredients, breaking up clumps of rice with the back of a spoon.
- Add more soy, oyster, or fish sauce, if necessary (or to taste).
- When everything is blended together and rice is hot, remove from heat and stir in the basil.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
see 13 more reviews
I tried this before with original recipe and it was delicious. This time I tweaked it with my own adding yellow bell pepper and all other veggies, but still using same sauce and I loved how the color changed. It was a hit and always is. My kids and friends love it. The spice was just right. Thank you.