Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. I am listing it here as she gave it to me, but I make the following changes: Dry Cream of Soup Mix - Substitute in place of the mushroom soup (or I have also used cream cheese, maybe fat-free?) lots more garlic and onions, fresh mushrooms instead of canned, cheddar cheese spread (ie Wispride)instead of Velveeta and I skip the olives since it is one of the few foods I actually dislike. It's really a pretty tasty casserole, easy to make ahead for a crowd and it freezes well. I like to add Tabasco for a little more zip.
- 2 lbs chicken parts or 1 large broiler-fryer chicken
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 lb spaghetti, broken
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 20 stuffed green olives, chopped
- Cover chicken with water and bring to a boil.
- When chicken is done, remove from broth.
- Shred chicken.
- Skim fat from broth.
- In at least one quart of broth, cook celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, mushrooms and olives until tender.
- Add spaghetti and cook till done. You may need to add more broth.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well till cheese melts.
I made modified versions of this recipe based on our personal likes and dislikes; I actually made 2 separate versions. First, since I had a case of Velveeta & shells, I used 2 packages of this instead of spaghetti. I cooked the chicken as directed, and then cooked the noodles in the broth. For one version, I added rotel tomatoes (but no tomato sauce as I didn't have any). I did not add the mushrooms as I can't tolerate them, and I subbed cream of chicken soup for the cream of mushroom. The other version I made mostly for DD, as she does not like tomotoes in her food, so I skipped those altogether. Overall, this is a tasty meal, served with a green salad - DH really liked it. For me it was just ok, so I'm giving 4 stars. Thanks for posting - made for FALL PAC 2012.