Tex-Mex Black Bean Burgers
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for ten minutes. Remove from heat; let stand five minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add next four ingreients and process until smooth (you may leave some beans whole, if desired, to add texture). Shape mixture into six patties, each about two inches think.
- Coat a grill pan or large griddle with cooking spray and set pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add burgers and cook five minutes per side, until golden brown on both sides.
- Top burgers with cheese, cover pan with lid or foil and cook one minute, until cheese melts.
- Place burgers inside pita pockets and top each burger with 1 1/2 tbsp salsa.