Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 8 ounces boneless beef top sirloin steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup apple cider
- 2 carrots, cut into thin,bite-size strips
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 -2 tablespoon light teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, optional
- slivered green onion top, optional
- Trim fat from beef.
- Cut beef into thin, bite-size strips.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and shallot.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until beef is brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove mixture; set aside.
- In same saucepan, combine water, apple juice, carrots, rice, ginger, garlic and bouillon granules.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in beef mixture and broccoli.
- Simmer, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the teriyaki sauce and sherry.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish with slivered green onion tops.
This was very tasty indeed! Lovely and quick. I used more beef (needed using up!), beef bouillion cube instead of granules, omitted both the optionals (as I didn't have either of them!), and added red chili flakes - I think the hotness really enhanced the sweet/salty flavours of the soup. Thank you Dancer^, this was great!