Recipe by ranch-girl
Comfort food - a protein and complex carb main dish with the flavor of stuffing. Adapted from The Tempeh Cookbook.
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (approx)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten (or for vegan, use 1/4 cup of stock instead)
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional, depending on how salty your stock is)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground walnuts (use food processor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tempeh block in half and simmer in stock with bay leaf for 10 minutes.
- Cut or tear bread into cubes to yield 2 cups of packed bread cubes.
- Remove tempeh and bay leaf from stock, let tempeh cool.
- Pour 3/4 c of the hot stock over the bread cubes to soak.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in olive oil.
- Grate the tempeh, and mix with egg, soaked bread cubes, and sauted onion.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Pack into greased loaf pan and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 30 min., covered and another 10 minute uncovered.
- Top with veggie gravy, sauteed mushrooms, dijon mustard, or ketchup.