I'm originally from Minnesota, and if Minnesota is famous for one thing, it's hotdish. You might know it better as casserole, or something like that, but in Minnesota, it's hotdish. This is my mom's recipe, the same one that she used to make for me when I was little.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 lb) package tater tots (you probably won't use the whole package, but this is usually the smallest size I can find)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup (or 3 cans if you want it extra creamy)
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetables (or 2 cans, whatever kind you like, I like sweet corn, my mom uses green beans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, brown the ground beef (seasoning to taste as you cook) and drain off the grease.
- Spread the beef in the bottom of a 2 to 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Drain the liquid off the vegetables and spread them over the meat.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the cans of soup over the top of the vegetables and meat. Use the soup as is, straight from the can. Do NOT mix it with anything.
- Arrange a layer of tater tots over the top of that.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Top with your favorite variety of shredded cheese as you serve.
Im from Minnesota as well. This is a very basic recipe. I added salt and pepper, 1/4 of an onion, 2 cloves of garlic and shredded cheddar cheese. It was delicious
I'm from Minnesota too and I've always wanted to make it but never found a good recipe. I saw this and I thought of home. I added garlic & onion powder to the hamburger plus added some bacon. I used 1 can cream of mushroom & 1 can of cream of chicken. 1/2 lb of corn and 1/2 lb of green beans. Turned out really good. Thank you for posting your recipe!
I also hail from MN and man do we love our hotdish! This is a great and simple recipe that we just finished eating! Perfect for these chilly fall days! Also makes for great leftovers! I use frozen mixed veggies, and my mom suggested using cream of celery instead. I also sprinkled a little seasoned salt on the tots. Delish!