Recipe by Gabby B
This slaw is a great alternative to creamy cole slaw if you're not a fan or if, like my hubby, you don't like mayo. You may add more sugar to taste as I know the American palate tends to be a bit more given to sweet than mine. I've seen people double the sugar, more than that may overpower the other flavors. I hope you enjoy. It's great with pulled pork.
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped seeds and veins removed
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 5 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup carrot, finely sliced (or shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, sliced onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved; pour over vegetables and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.