1/1 Photo of Tangy Pomegranate Chicken Legs Stuffed With Herbed Rice
3 hrs 45 mins
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
These marinated chicken legs come out beautifully glazed and juicy, and look like a lot more work than they really are! I marinated mine for only one hour and they still turned out nicely. Also, you can add sliced and scored potatoes to the baking pan if desired, to soak up some of the juices. Note: I originally tried this recipe for one serving, so had to estimate the measurements of the marinade and stuffing. The proportions are correct, but the amounts may need adjusting for your personal taste. I also only had dried herbs on hand, but fresh would probably turn out even better!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the marinade
- 1 cup pomegranate syrup
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
For the Stuffing
- 1De-bone the chicken legs. To do this: with a sharp knife, cut around the skin and cartilage around the base of the knee joint. Slice upwards along the bone to the opposite end. Carefully separate the meat from the bone. You should end up with a butterflied (flat) piece of meat.
- 2Place a layer of plastic wrap over the chicken, and pound until slightly flattened.
- 3Prepare the marinade: Place the pomegranate syrup, honey, vinegar, paprika, onion powder, spices and salt/pepper into a bowl and mix well. Pour over the chicken in a plasic bag or other container. Allow to marinate a couple hours-overnight.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the onions over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds (if using) and pine nuts. Toast for several more minutes. Add the scallions and spinach, heat thoroughly.
- 5Finally, add the dried herbs and a splash of water, cook for several more minutes. Mix in the cooked rice and allow to cool.
- 6Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 7Spread the chicken meat out, skin-side down. In the center, add several spoonfuls of the stuffing mixture (it should be around ½ cup, whatever can fit).
- 8Fold the chicken up around the stuffing and secure with toothpicks. Arrange on a lightly oiled baking dish, seal-side down. Pour the remaining marinade over the mixture.
- 9Basting occasionally, bake for approximately 30-40 minutes (time may vary), or until browned and no longer pink inside.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tangy Pomegranate Chicken Legs Stuffed With Herbed Rice
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 905.0
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 197.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 39.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: