Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe goes back a long time, it has remained a family favorite, if you are a curry-lover then I'm sure you will enjoy this stew!
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14.79-29.58 ml minced fresh garlic
- 14.79 ml fresh minced ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 14.79 ml curry powder (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- ground cinnamon
- 907.18 g chicken thighs (about 8)
- 2.46-4.92 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 29.58 ml lemon juice (or dry white wine)
- 59.14 ml flour
- 354.88 ml milk or 354.88 ml half-and-half cream
- 118.29 ml good quality chicken broth (can use up to 1 cup)
- 473.18 ml chopped carrots (OR 1 cup of each) or 473.18 ml peeled sweet potatoes (OR 1 cup of each)
- 2 small tart apples, chopped
- In a large skillet, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper and a pinch of cinnamon; cook, stirring for 2 minutes, or until onion is softened.
- Add the chicken thighs; brown for 5 minutes on each side, adding more oil if necessary to prevent burning, leave in the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium; stir in lemon rind and lemon juice or white wine (if using).
- Cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits.
- In a bowl, whisk flour into milk or half and half cream.
- Gradually stir in the milk/flour mixture with the chicken stock into the pot.
- Add in the chopped carrots.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to med-low; cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is no longer pink, and carrots are tender.
- Stir in apples; cook, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, and stew is thickened.
We simply love this recipe. I've made it a few times now and everyone enjoys it! Tonight we had the first batch from the freezer that I put up several weeks ago. Just perfect. Thanks for posting!
YUM!!!! This was so good! It smelt so go when I was cooking it, I couldn't wait to eat it. I used chicken breasts, potatoes, carrots, and red peppers. When it started to simmer I didn't think there was enough liquid so I added more chicken broth, but I shouldn't have, it ended up a little too liquidy in the end.
The flavors in this dish are outstanding. I used both white wine and lemon juice, 1 TBL of oil, red potatoes instead of sweet potatoes, pre-cooked chicken and red pepper flakes. I might have done something wrong because mine seemed a little dry so I kept adding more milk, broth and white wine until it was a nice consistency. I think it would be terrific over basmati rice. This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.