Moroccan Chicken and Veggie Skillet
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (Becel)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 -3 medium carrots, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- chopped fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Place fennel seeds (if using) on a cutting board and break them by cutting once or twice with a large, heavy knife.
- Or if you have a mortar and pestle, give them a couple of grinds to lightly crush and release the aroma.
- In a small bowl, mix crushed fennel seeds, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; set aside.
- In a large nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken with onion and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Stir in fennel mixture and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, zucchini, carrots, raisins and salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat stirring once, 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water, stir cornstarch mixture into pan and cook until thickened.
- Serve over prepared couscous or rice and garnish with chopped coriander.
Join The Conversation
I wanted to love this... it got such great reviews from everyone else. But it was only okay and I won't be making it again. It smells divine while cooking but the chicken just didn't seem to pick up enough of the flavor. The chicken seemed dry to me too. Between the onion, chicken and garlic there seemed to be too much liquid for the chicken to brown up properly. Maybe I should have used a larger pan but everything seemed to fit in fine. I don't know what the explanation is. Nobody in my family really cared for this. I am thinking of just using the spices as a rub on some baked chicken so see what happens. BTW... I made the recipe as directed except that I put in one small green zucchini and one small yellow. I also omitted the raisins, not being a fan of them. But that's it. Apparently my family likes lots of zing because these flavors were just too subtle and watered down to make an impression. Sorry. :(
We liked this recipe a lot. We added ckick peas along with the veggies, and will probably add peas as well next time. It could probably could use another zucchini as well. I was a little hesitant using the corn starch - - I was afraid it would get a little too thick, But it was actually a great addition.