Chicken and Apple Curry
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- finely chopped fresh parsley
- cooked basmati rice
- Heat oil and 1 tblsp butter over moderately-high heat until foam subsides.
- Brown chicken, patted dry and seasoned with salt; transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Pour off fat from casserole, add remaining 2 tblsps butter and cook celery, onion and garlic over moderately-low heat, until softened.
- Add apples and cook 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, curry, cinnamon and cumin and cook 1 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook over moderate heat 3 minutes.
- Add broth and chicken and cook, covered and at a bare simmer, 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and tender.
- Transfer chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Boil sauce 3-5 minutes, or until thickened slightly, and season.
- Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
Join The Conversation
I prefer my curries to have a bit more kick but I'm adding an extra star because even my kids loved this one! My family doesn't like bell peppers so I cooked it with big chunks and removed them before serving it. This was easy and smelled awesome as it cooked! Will definitely use this again. Reviewed for ZWT4