1/1 Photo of Tangy Apple Curry Chicken and Veggie Stew
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe goes back a long time, it has remained a family favorite, if you are a curry-lover then I'm sure you will enjoy this stew!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or dry white wine)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk or 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup good quality chicken broth (can use up to 1 cup)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (OR 1 cup of each) or 2 cups peeled sweet potatoes (OR 1 cup of each)
- 2 small tart apples, chopped
- 1In a large skillet, saute for 2 minutes.
- 2Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper and a pinch of cinnamon; cook, stirring for 2 minutes, or until onion is softened.
- 3Add the chicken thighs; brown for 5 minutes on each side, adding more oil if necessary to prevent burning, leave in the pot.
- 4Reduce heat to medium; stir in lemon rind and lemon juice or white wine (if using).
- 5Cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits.
- 6In a bowl, whisk flour into milk or half and half cream.
- 7Gradually stir in the milk/flour mixture with the chicken stock into the pot.
- 8Add in the chopped carrots.
- 9Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- 10Reduce heat to med-low; cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is no longer pink, and carrots are tender.
- 11Stir in apples; cook, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, and stew is thickened.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tangy Apple Curry Chicken and Veggie Stew
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.8
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 203.8 mg
- Sodium 358.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 45.1 g