Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe goes back a long time, it has remained a family favorite, if you are a curry-lover then I'm sure you will enjoy this stew!
Top Review by saracho
We simply love this recipe. I've made it a few times now and everyone enjoys it! Tonight we had the first batch from the freezer that I put up several weeks ago. Just perfect. Thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or dry white wine)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup good quality chicken broth (can use up to 1 cup)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (OR 1 cup of each) or 2 cups peeled sweet potatoes (OR 1 cup of each)
- 2 small tart apples, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper and a pinch of cinnamon; cook, stirring for 2 minutes, or until onion is softened.
- Add the chicken thighs; brown for 5 minutes on each side, adding more oil if necessary to prevent burning, leave in the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium; stir in lemon rind and lemon juice or white wine (if using).
- Cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits.
- In a bowl, whisk flour into milk or half and half cream.
- Gradually stir in the milk/flour mixture with the chicken stock into the pot.
- Add in the chopped carrots.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to med-low; cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is no longer pink, and carrots are tender.
- Stir in apples; cook, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, and stew is thickened.