Recipe adapted from the Whole Foods website. This is a simple and quick meal- great for weeknights. And it's low fat, too. Serve over brown rice or another whole grain.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 7.39 ml ground coriander
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 78.07 ml water
- 4.92 ml evaporated cane juice sugar
- 4.92 ml tamarind paste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 (850.48 g) can chickpeas, drained
- 170.09 g packagepre-washed Baby Spinach (about 6 cups)
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oil spray in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until softened and golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add small amounts of water as needed to keep onions from burning.
- Add cumin, coriander and cayenne to skillet and stir to coat onion with spices.
- Cook for one minute then add diced tomatoes, with their juice, water, sugar, red pepper flakes and tamarind concentrate. Stir to mix well.
- Add chickpeas and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.