Couscous With Spiced Chickpeas and Figs
A nice vegetarian dish with exotic spices.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons moroccan mixed spice (see below)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried fig
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon harissa (optional) or 1 tablespoon hot sauce, to taste (optional)
Moroccan Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, spice mix and some salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomato and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, beans and figs and cook for a further 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl and pour over 2 cups boiling water.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel. Set aside for 5 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- Divide couscous and vegetables among plates, garnish with coriander then serve with harissa, if desired.
- For Moroccan spice mix, these are sold commercially or you can mix your own with the above ingredients.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION