Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Tamago is a thin sweetened egg omelet. Here it is added to sushi with spring onions and mayo for a tasty treat. Please note portion sizes are a guess as I normally use a sushi maker to make this type of sushi.
Top Review by Hello Kitty with cupcakes
I have been making authentic Japanese Tamago for the past 5 years. This is NOT tamago! its a sweetened, salty pancake. Some things you might want to reconsider. 2 tablespoons of sugar for 2 eggs is WAY too sweet. Flour?! there is no flour in Tamago at all, ever. This is what turns it into a cake. Salt should be replaced by soy sauce. 1 teaspoon should be enough for 2 eggs.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice (try Minado's Perfect Sushi Rice)
- 3 sheets nori, toasted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (use Kewpie brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl beat eggs, flour,sugar and salt together.
- Heat a non stick or lightly oiled pan on a medium heat. I normally use a small frying pan to give me a 1/4 inch thick omelette.
- Cook egg mix until golden on both sides.
- Allow to cool and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Slice the spring onions lengthways into long thin strips. Depending on preference you can use the white only or all parts of the onion.
- In a small dry frying pan place the sesame seeds and heat over a medium heat until they turn golden brown and become aromatic; watch carefully they burn very easily.
- Assembling the sushi. There are two ways to assemble this sushi you can either make fat rolls (futomaki) or layered sushi (nigari) I will describe both.
- Rolls (futomaki):.
- Lay a sheet of nori down on a sushi rolling mat.
- Spread 1/3 of the rice over the nori pressing down well; leave a 1 inch gap at the side nearest to you.
- Leave a 1 inch gap on the rice at your side and place 1/3 of the onion, sesame seeds and omelet; top with a line of the mayonnaise.
- Take the inch of seaweed that is showing and fold over the rice, continue rolling up the seaweed using the mat if needed as an aid. You should end up with a cigar shaped roll.
- Remove the roll to a plate and place in the fridge, make the other rolls in the same way.
- When the sushi is cool, use a sharp knife dipped in salted water to slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- The end sections will look untidy so eat them and arrange the rest of the pieces on a plate.
- Layered (nigari):.
- Line 9 x 13 inch pan with cling film.
- Place 1/3 of the sushi rice in a layer on the bottom.
- Place one of the nori sheets on the rice adding more around the sides if needed.
- Place the sliced omelet on top of the nori leaving 1/2 inch gaps between the slices.
- Place the spring onions in the gaps and top each one with a thin line of the mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and top with another sheet of nori.
- Add another 1/3 of the rice.
- Add the other nori sheet.
- Add the rest of the rice.
- Press down the top of the sushi with another pan covered in cling film.
- Turn the sushi out onto a board and using a sharp wet knife cut into squares.