Recipe by Khandi Howard
Here is the version of Taco Rice that we have made at our house. It came out of the freezer and tasted better than the day we made it I thought. I also boiled the ground beef. I made it because it was a recipe that my sister-in-law wanted to make when we were cooking together. My family liked it and so did I. I will definitely make this again. Khandi Taco Rice
Top Review by cdecaro325
This is a good base recipe to start from if you're looking for a delicious vegetarian taco filling.
To start, cook the two cups of rice. There's a perfect recipe for cooking brown rice here (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Perfect-Brown-Rice) that makes it come out perfect every time.
The recipe is on the bland side, so to make it taste delicious I saute my onions with a can of diced chile peppers (4.25 oz) and an 11 oz. can of Green Giant white chipotle corn (or you can use Mexicorn) and add that into the cooked rice along with the taco seasoning and a can of salsa (16 oz) instead of the diced tomatoes. I also add about 4 oz of Taco Sauce and a can of black beans (rinsed) instead of beef. I use about 1 cup of cheese instead of two. You won't need to simmer it, but I put it in a dish and throw it in the oven to keep it warm. The changes make this recipe delicious when it's otherwise on the bland side.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups white rice or 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- ASSEMBLY Brown meat and drain.
- Combine meat, onion, taco seasoning packe t, cooked rice and tomatoes in saucepan.
- Simmer until thick - about 30 minutes.
- FREEZING & COOKING Cool, label, and freeze in bags or rigid containers.
- Also freeze a ziptop bag with 2 cups of shredded cheese for each meal.
- TO SERVE: Thaw completely.
- for taco salad, warm over medium heat. Serve with lettuce, taco chips, tomatoes, sour cream and the enclosed cheese. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : I made with Uncle Ben's Rice. My kids rolled it up in warm tortillas to eat. I ate with fat free sour cream and salsa.
- It can also be used as a burrito filling.
- It was better than I expected.