DH loves Mexican and requests it often. This recipe is from Company's Coming Greatist Hits Mexican. It's a good way to eat tacos without all the mess (even though it may not be authentic). You can make the beef sauce a day ahead and refrigerate it. Just heat thoroughly before assembling.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 2 cups corn chips, broken
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice, hot
- 2 cups medium cheddar, grated
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sliced ripe olives, pitted
- In a large non-stick frying, scramble-fry ground beef and onion until no longer pink and onion is soft.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add next 6 ingredients, mix well and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and heat through.
- Layer corn chips, rice, beef mixture, cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomato and olives on large platter.