Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Sesame oil can be substituted for part or all of the peanut oil. Preparation time does not include marinating time.
- 1 lb top round beef, sliced diagonally into thin strips
- nonstick cooking spray or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips (color of your choice)
- 2 ounces snow peas
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (lower-sodium)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Combine marinade ingredients in a 1-gallon plastic freezer bag; add beef and marinate 2 hours to overnight.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat 1 minute; add cooking spray or 1 Tbs oil.
- Add beef and stir-fry about 3 minutes until no longer pink; remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbs oil to pan and stir-fry pepper, snow peas and scallion 2 minutes.
- Return beef to pan with romaine and peanuts; leave on burner but turn off heat.
- Toss (pan will continue to cook) until heated through and romaine slightly limp but only slightly reduced in volume (1 minute or less).
- Serve hot.