Recipe by weekend cooker
a very easy dish , withy vegetables, and swiss cheese.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Outstanding green bean recipe! This 1st time around I followed your recipe right on down & thoroughly enjoyed it! Still, another time I might just sub crushed multi-grain crackers for the cornflakes, just because we are very partial to that particular kind of cracker! Thanks for a great new way to fix these green buggers! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe tag]
- 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 (15 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 3⁄4 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt two tablespoons margarine in skillet and saute onion and celery.
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 minute on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and slowly add cream and stir until smooth.
- Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes until mixture is thick. DO NOT BOIL.
- Fold in green beans, and spread into greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining margarine and toss with cornflake crumbs, mix in cheese, and sprinkle over the top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated thoroughly.