1/3 Photos of Swiss Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
mums the word's Note:
My brother is a bachelor and even though he cooks for just one, he makes awesome full course meals. He got this recipe from a friend and I had to have it! I have taken this to potluck dinners and have been asked for the recipe. Simple comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups broccoli, blanched 2 minutes
- 4 cups egg noodles or 4 cups penne pasta
- 1Cook pasta according to package.Drain well and butter lightly to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- 2Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- 3In large frying pan, heat 6 tbsp butter. Add onions and chicken pieces. Cook just until turning white, turn and cook other side.
- 4Sprinkle with lemon juice. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat for about six minutes, turning once. Remove chicken and mushrooms and keep warm.
- 5To the juices left in the frying pan, add flour. Cook and stir about 2 minutes.
- 6Using whisk, stir in milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer to thicken.
- 7Add spices and half of the cheese. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- 8Using the same pot that you cooked your noodles in, add the cream sauce and gently stir to coat noodles. Add broccoli, chicken and mushrooms. Fold into the noodles gently.
- 9Transfer to a greased 2L baking pan and top with remainder of Swiss cheese.
- 10Bake covered at 350F 35-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.0
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.5 mg
- Sodium 454.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 25.4 g