Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My brother is a bachelor and even though he cooks for just one, he makes awesome full course meals. He got this recipe from a friend and I had to have it! I have taken this to potluck dinners and have been asked for the recipe. Simple comfort food.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups broccoli, blanched 2 minutes
- 4 cups egg noodles or 4 cups penne pasta
- Cook pasta according to package.Drain well and butter lightly to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- In large frying pan, heat 6 tbsp butter. Add onions and chicken pieces. Cook just until turning white, turn and cook other side.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat for about six minutes, turning once. Remove chicken and mushrooms and keep warm.
- To the juices left in the frying pan, add flour. Cook and stir about 2 minutes.
- Using whisk, stir in milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer to thicken.
- Add spices and half of the cheese. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Using the same pot that you cooked your noodles in, add the cream sauce and gently stir to coat noodles. Add broccoli, chicken and mushrooms. Fold into the noodles gently.
- Transfer to a greased 2L baking pan and top with remainder of Swiss cheese.
- Bake covered at 350F 35-40 minutes.
We enjoyed this casserole so much! The swiss cheese is a delicious change from the usual cheddar cheese found in many recipes and it went perfectly with the broccoli and chicken, making a light and creamy sauce. This great recipe is going into my keeper file. Thanks for sharing it!
This is a very good casserole. Love that cheese. Thanks for posting.
Wonderful weeknight meal. So quick and easy to make, and the swiss in the sauce is delicious. I really enjoyed this delicious and easy meal. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2012.