Recipe by Canadian Pixie
This dish is great as an appetizer, or add some red and green peppers and serve over rice and you have a meal. This recipe has been used in my family since I was a kid--not too sure where it came from aside from my mom. It also works very well in a crock pot if you have several hours to let the sauce sit and thicken.
Top Review by EBacon
I just made this tonight for me and my girlfriend, and it was nothing short of absolutely awesome. Made the meatballs from scratch and followed the recipe to the letter, except I added the two optional ingredients, green peppers and rosemary, and I also added crushed red pepper. The meatballs had plenty of zip & zing and the sauce was to die for--we will definitely be having this again, thanks so much for sharing!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- rosemary (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (540 ml) can pineapple tidbits in syrup
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all meatball ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Form into balls. For appetizer make smaller balls, for meal make larger balls.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at approx 350°F until brown (15-20 minutes depending on size of meatballs).
- To make sauce, mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet.
- Stir in pineapple (with syrup), vinegar and soya sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce heat.
- Add meatballs, cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add peppers and simmer approximately 5 minutes more.