I don't recall where this recipe came from, but I've had it for many years. Great taste. I usually manage to have it half gone before it's time to serve. The beans can be left whole (for effect) or cut - it's your choice. Note that the marinating time is very important, and is included in the cooking time.
- Trim beans, steam for 15 minutes, and set aside.
- Fry bacon till crisp; remove from pan, crumble, and set aside.
- Cook onion in the bacon fat until limp.
- Dissolve the sugar into the vinegar and add, with the beans and bacon, to the onions.
- Place in covered container and let marinate for two hours.
- Reheat just before serving.
Yum, this is a great preparation for green beans! Sweet, sour, and salty flavors all really come together. Thanks for sharing! PAC Fall '12