Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great recipe for using up sweet red peppers from the garden...wonderfully fresh tasting!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 large red peppers, halved,peeled,seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (10% cream)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add the red peppers.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Put soup through a food mill to remove the pepper skins.
- Return to saucepan.
- Add cream and heat through without boiling.
Very good and very easy. I pulled the peppers offthe vine and I did put them on the grill and char the skin so it came off easy and then followed the recipe. I make it again and again but maybe add some fresh basil and a little more cream.
Very good soup and quite easy to make too. Followed recipe except for not adding cream, as i need it to be kept in fridge throughout the week. It was still smooth and creamy because when it was cooled i put it through the blender. I also roasted the peppers on the grill first. Great recipe.